Save News Packs
- Land Rover reveals Transparent Bonnet virtual imaging concept
- New level of driver awareness with a 'see-through' augmented reality view of the terrain ahead, making the front of the car 'virtually' invisible from inside the cabin
- Technology provides full visibility of what is underneath and in front of the car, with total clarity of otherwise hidden obstacles
- Transparent Bonnet is part of a suite of new concept technologies to be showcased in Land Rover's Discovery Vision Concept car at the New York International Motor Show
Whitley, UK, 9th April 2014 - Pioneering technology is being developed to give Land Rover drivers a digital vision of the terrain ahead by making the front of the car 'virtually' invisible.
Cameras located in the vehicle's grille capture data used to feed a Head-Up Display, effectively creating a 'see-through' view of the terrain through the bonnet and engine bay, breaking new ground in visual driver assistance. The technology, named Transparent Bonnet by its creators, shows how advanced technology will take Land Rover's unrivalled capability to the next level.
The technology enables a driver climbing a steep incline or manoeuvring in a confined space to see an augmented reality view capturing not only the terrain in front of the car but also the angle and position of the front wheels.
Dr Wolfgang Epple, Director of Research and Technology for Jaguar Land Rover, said: "We believe the next 25 years will be the most exciting and dynamic the automotive industry has ever experienced. There will be huge strides in environmental innovation, in safety and capability.
"As our vehicles become more capable and autonomous off-road, we will ensure the driver has the confidence to allow the car to continue to progress, over any terrain. We are developing new technologies including the Transparent Bonnet to give drivers anaugmented view of reality to help them tackle anything from the toughest off-road route to the tight confines of an urban car park."
Opening the doors to Jaguar Land Rover's advanced research, the Discovery Vision Concept car is a design and technology showcase which will be unveiled in full at the New York International Auto Show on 16th April 2014. The concept demonstrates Land Rover's design vision for a future family of premium SUVs built on Land Rover's key principles of emotive design, unrivalled capability and ultimate versatility. From the city to the sand dunes, Land Rover's new, driver-assisting technology will enable safer, smarter and more enjoyable driving in the SUVs of tomorrow.
Follow the excitement on Land Rover's Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages and join the conversation using #ReadyToDiscover.
Note to editors:
- The New York International Motor Show opens its doors for Press Day on Wednesday 16th April
- Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/landrover.uk
Twitter: @landroverUKPR https://twitter.com/LandRover_UK
For further information log onto www.uk.media.landrover.com or contact:
PR Manager, Land Rover UK
T: 02476 564 161
M: 07801 699928
Senior Press Officer, Land Rover UK
T: 02476 564 129
M: 07795 666169
Press Officer, Land Rover UK
T: 02476 564 258
M: 07880 177 300