Save News Packs
- Land Rover Concept vehicle features "Transparent Hood" virtual imaging technology which is designed as an aid in off-road driving and tight spaces
- Using camera images projected onto a full width heads up display at the bottom of the windshield, this technology provides visibility of what is underneath and directly front of the car, with visualizations of otherwise hidden obstacles
- The "Transparent Hood" technology is part of a suite of new concept technologies which will be showcased in the Land Rover Discovery Vision Concept car at the 2014 New York International Auto Show
(MAHWAH, N.J.) - April 8, 2014- Advanced technology is being developed at Land Rover to create a digital view of the terrain ahead by making the front of the car 'virtually' invisible.
Cameras located at the front of the vehicle capture data and are used to feed a Heads-Up Display across the bottom of the windshield, effectively creating a 'see-through' view of the terrain through the hood and engine bay, breaking new ground in visual driver assistance. The technology, named "Transparent Hood" by Land Rover, shows how the company continues to innovate with new off-road technology.
The technology enables a driver climbing a steep incline or negotiating turns in a confined space to see a virtual view of both the terrain in front of the car and the angle and position of the front wheels.
Dr. Wolfgang Epple, Director of Research and Technology for Jaguar Land Rover said, "As our vehicles become more capable and offer increasing autonomy off-road, we will ensure the driver has the confidence to progress over any terrain. We are developing new technologies including the Transparent Hood to give drivers an augmented view of reality to help them tackle anything from the toughest off-road route to the tight confines of urban parking."
Showcasing Jaguar Land Rover's advanced research projects; the Discovery Vision Concept car is a design and technology showcase which will be unveiled at the New York International Auto Show on April 16, 2014. The concept demonstrates a Land Rover design vision for a future family of premium SUVs built on key principles of emotive design, unrivalled capability and ultimate versatility. From the city to the sand dunes, this new driver-assisting technology will offer improved visibility and a more enjoyable driving experience.
Note to editors: This technology is also referred to as "Transparent Bonnet" in British English.
# # #
About Land Rover
Land Rover, the British maker of Land Rover and Range Rover sport utility vehicles, is renowned for providing its clientele with some of the most luxurious and capable vehicles in the world. Every Land Rover vehicle is equally at home both on and off road, and in any setting; be it in the heart of the city, or traversing the countryside. Today's Land Rover lineup includes the legendary Defender, LR2 (Freelander 2), LR4 (Discovery 4), Range Rover Sport, Range Rover and Range Rover Evoque. Land Rover designs, engineers, and manufactures their vehicles in the United Kingdom. Land Rover is fully engaged with sustainability initiatives and social concerns with continuous involvement in environmental and community programs. For more information visit the official Land Rover website at http://www.landroverusa.com.
About Jaguar Land Rover
• The United States is one of the leading global markets for both Jaguar and Land Rover
• Jaguar Land Rover employs 25,000 people and sells vehicles in 170 countries around the world
• Jaguar Land Rover has two state of the art engineering and design facilities and three advanced manufacturing plants in the UK
• Headquartered in Mahwah, New Jersey in the United States, Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC has offices across the USA
• Jaguar Land Rover is represented by more than 330 independently operated retail outletsin the USA